Shooting in New Zealand mosque: Several people killed after gunmen opened fire in Christchurch
Nine people from India or of Indian origin disappeared after the mass shooting in two mosques in Christchurch on March 15, announced the Indian envoy to New Zealand. The shooting at the Masjid al Noor Mosque of Deans Avenue near Hagley Park and at the Linwood Masjid Mosque during the afternoon prayer took the lives of 49 people and wounded them in the afternoon. minus 40 others.
High Commissioner Sanjiv Kohli tweeted that the nine missing people might be Indians or of Indian origin, but officials refused to identify any of them until "Certain processes" are completed.
"According to the updates received from multiple sources, there are 9 missing persons of Indian nationality, official confirmation is still awaited, a huge crime against humanity, our prayers with their families," Kohli wrote.
In New Delhi, the spokesman of the Ministry of External Affairs, Raveesh Kumar, said that the High Commission of India in New Zealand was in contact with the local authorities and would bring help to the Indians of the nation . "Our mission is in contact with the local authorities for more details, it is a delicate matter, so we can not give confirmed numbers / names until we are absolutely certain", a- he declared.
Although the authorities did not identify the Indians, relatives of two Indians – Ahmed Iqbal Jahangir from Hyderabad and Mehboob Khokhar from Ahmedabad – said that they had been told that their loved ones had been injured. Jahangir's brother, Khursheed, told Minute News that Jahangir had been taken to hospital after the attack and had undergone an operation. However, he did not have any other information and said that the family had appealed to the Center and that the Telangana government had accelerated the process of obtaining his visa so that he could surrender in Jahangir, New Zealand.
"He has been in New Zealand for almost 12 years now and he has a restaurant serving Hyderabadi cuisine and he participated in the Friday prayer," Khursheed told TNM. "Two of his friends were killed in the attack.My brother is fighting for survival.We are not able to tell you what's going on there.He has a wife and her two children, one to 3 years old and the other 5. "
According to data from the Indian High Commission on its website, New Zealand has about 200,000 Indians and people of Indian descent, and about 30,000 Indian students live in the country.
In the meantime, the Australian-born gunman appeared in court on Saturday, March 16 in the morning. Brenton Harrison Tarrant did not ask for the removal of the name during his court appearance and would not have shown any signs of remorse.
Instead, the accused smiled with the smiles of those in the media and got carried away while reading the charges. The 28-year-old resident of Dunedin, accompanied by two police officers, appeared in white prison garb, chained and barefoot, and remained silent. Accused of murder and charged with murder, he is incarcerated until April 5, when he will be presented to the High Court for hearing, reported the NZ Herald.