Hailey Baldwin doesn’t have Twitter on her phone because, “Instagram is enough of a distraction,” she tells me on a recent call. Her account, followed by millions, is a social media star starter pack complete with ‘I’m on a boat!’ bikini pictures, birthday shoutouts, glowy selfies, and international food porn. “I always like trying McDonald’s in other countries,” she pauses. “I think my favorite that I’ve tried…I had McDonald’s in Canada and it was so good.”
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
Would she ever go dark on Instagram like ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber and best friend Kendall Jenner? “I’m thinking about that in the very, very, very near future,” Baldwin says, hinting at what’s to come. A few days later, shortly before the new year, she’s gone.
While there’s no telling how long Baldwin will be away, if you’re looking for a beauty fix, her legacy lives on with a limited-edition collection with Australian brand ModelCo. Her first makeup line, Hailey Baldwin for ModelCo, offers the building blocks of Baldwin’s signature look–good skin, pillowy lips, impossibly long lashes–i.e. never Instagram makeup. “I don’t really like full contouring all over the face and caked on foundation. I don’t think that’s pretty.”
“I was always the one that did my friends’ makeup,” says Baldwin, who got her start in beauty backstage as a young ballerina. “Every time we had performances, I was the one that everyone came to do their makeup, so it was something that I always really liked.” Here, the model slash makeup expert shares a few of her secrets.
1. “I really like to have glowy skin,” says Baldwin who boosts her natural look with highlighter. “Just at the top of the cheekbones, a little on the nose, right on my cupid’s bow, the lid. Sometimes I put it on the crease in my eyes.”
2. “I don’t like to do facials. I don’t like extractions. I’m cool with doing facials that are laser, but typically like to leave my skin alone and I go to the dermatologist just to have it checked.”
3. Cryotherapy is an exception to the facial rule… “You can go to a place where they basically put you in a giant freezer,” she says. “They do like a facial where they blow freezing air all over your face and scalp. It’s kind of weird but it feels so good.”
4. “I honestly am not the type of person who feels the need to take a hundred photos to get the right one. I just usually take a couple and then I’m like, ‘Okay! I’m fine with that one.’ You know when you get one photo and you’re like, ‘Oh, that’s actually not bad! It’s really cute!’ Then that’s candid because you got it on the first try. When someone takes a photo and you weren’t paying attention and you ended up liking it.”
5. “I never fall asleep with makeup. Ever. I really just like the Neutrogena makeup remover wipes. I use just a simple face wash, one from a dermatologist. I don’t really do too much on my skin.”